Monday, April 26, 2010

WW2 Letter

June 5th, 1944

Private Alexander
2nd rangers regiment
US army
1st Platoon

Dear Mom

My commander and squad have been discussing amongst themselves about the order that was issued that we are going to storm the beaches of Normandy. The troops and my friends all think that its going to be a bloodbath with those nazis falling to their knees. They are all pumped up. They are saying that the nazis should have learned from the war a few years ago that they can't just do whatever they want, its our job to put em in their place. Their confidence is to be admired but that wont save them. My commander's eyes have barely left the calm waves of the ocean since the order was recieved. I don't think i've ever seen a man that afraid of anything before in my life. He looks like the walking dead. I tried talking to him to find out more about what we were getting ourselves into and he told me it was a suicide mission. He told me that we were going to take the flat boats up onto a shore that is heavily protected by enemy machine gun turrets and many troops. He told me that our chances of survival were next to nothing.



At a time like this, getting scared isn't going to do anything except physic me out. I have my trusty rifle and my brothers beside me. I will emerge victorious no matter what and no man will stand in my way. Semper Fi.

No comments:

Post a Comment